The new of exhibition centre in Vienna Leopoldstadt past and present of a Vienna trading centre with the go-ahead for the construction of the Fairgrounds in the Viennese Leopoldstadt put the city of Vienna in the spring of 2000 a cornerstone for the development of a new hotspot of the federal capital. On the 15 acres grossenAreal in Vienna’s Prater that new infrastructure was created with an investment volume of EUR 200 million with a construction period of almost two and a half years, which is essential for a modern trade fair and Congress facility. Fair city of Vienna that under the leadership of the Viennese architect Gustav Peichl planned Messezentrum Wien new was on 14 January 2004 by the then President Dr. Thomas Klestil officially inaugurated. Since then every year over one hundred events take place on the 60,000 square meters of exhibition space, with total around 5,000 exhibitors and more than 650,000 visitors. Vienna has teamed up with this new exhibition centre as one of the leading trade fair cities in Europe positioned and serves as a hub for Business contacts in the new EU Member States.
The eventful history of the fair Vienna is located directly at Vienna’s most popular amusement and recreation area, the area looks upon a over hundred years, history moved back. After the first world war, the 1st Viennese fair was opened on September 11, 1921. The largest area, the fair split to multiple locations in Vienna, encompassed parts of the premises of the Vienna World Exposition of 1873. The Rotunda by John Scott Russell your central building was the landmark of the world exhibition in 1873 in the Prater. The so-called rotunda of the British architect John Scott Russell was the largest domed building in its time. The impressive steel and glass architecture was burned in 1937. In the following years of the NAZI rule of venue Vienna increasingly lost its importance and the fair was closed entirely in 1942.